We are seeking an energetic, organized and focused candidate who will be working alongside Raincoast’s Tsawwassen Summer Stewardship Program Lead to assist with the delivery of a field-monitoring/stewardship program for the Tsawwassen First Nation youth. The position will be in person and based in Tsawwassen, BC.
Wage and details
Job Type: Full time 8 weeks (June 30-August 26)
Anticipated hours: 35 hours per week (7 hours per day with 1 hour lunch break)
Wage: $18/ hour
Start date: June 30, 2022
Funding for this position is provided through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. To be eligible, you must meet the following funding criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*,
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Access to a personal computer and reliable internet connection.
*The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible.
Desired skills & qualifications
- Strong interest in local environmental conservation, Indigenous culture, and stewardship.
- Excellent communications skills with people of all ages.
- Experience delivering hands-on education with youth.
- Strong group management skills.
- Able to motivate and inspire young people while providing accountability to the Program Lead.
- Knowledge of the Tsawwassen First Nation community is an asset.
- First Aid Certification (CPR Level 1 or CPR-C) or a willingness to obtain it for programming.
- Driver’s License is an asset.
- Clean Criminal record check (or willingness to obtain).
No post secondary education is required for this position, but it would be an asset.
Duties and responsibilities
The assistant should be prepared to assist with behavioral management of the group, as well as coordinating field trip logistics and conducting conservation related projects and research. Applicants must be prepared to work full days, indoors and outdoors, rain or shine.
Priority will be given to applicants who are members of the Tsawwassen First Nation community.
Raincoast is a team of conservationists and scientists empowered by our research to protect the lands, waters and wildlife of coastal British Columbia. We use rigorous, peer-reviewed science and community engagement to further our conservation objectives. We call this approach informed advocacy. As a charitable, non-profit conservation science organization that operates a research lab, research field station and a research/sailing vessel, we are unique in Canada.
Raincoast welcomes applications from all interested and qualified candidates. Our organization is the product of diverse visions and perspectives and we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring. Raincoast is committed to fostering and maintaining a workplace culture that is inclusive and does not tolerate or accept discrimination or harassment.
How to apply
Email applications with “TFN Stewardship Program Assistant” in the subject line. Attach a single PDF file for your one-page cover letter and your resume – name it your first and last name (e.g. Mark Smith.pdf).
The cover letter should express why you are interested in this position and clearly outline how you meet the required qualifications. Your supporting resume should outline all relevant work experience and identify two references.
We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.