We are seeking a research assistant to join our our team for a temporary (3-month) summer contract to assist in engaging with local stewardship groups and to map salmon habitat in ArcGIS. This contract will be focused on identifying the potential for salmon habitat restoration and protection throughout the Lower Fraser and documenting the aspirations of a variety of community and stewardship groups active in salmon habitat conservation. The successful applicant will work with Raincoast staff to engage these groups, map their areas of focus and their aspirations concerning salmon habitat protection and restoration.
The Fraser is one of the world’s great rivers. Historically it produced more salmon than any other place in North America. Its delta, which mixes fresh water with the Salish Sea, is also one of the Pacific Coast’s largest and most important estuaries. Raincoast’s Lower Fraser river salmon program is working to address key conservation issues affecting wild salmon in the Lower Fraser river, from Hope to the river’s estuary. As part of our work to create a vision for salmon in the Lower Fraser, it has become apparent that creating an accessible inventory of existing and potential salmon habitats would be a helpful tool for moving forward. Our goal is to map the potential for salmon habitat conservation and protection in the Lower Fraser River, bringing together existing data sets and identifying potential needs.
Key tasks include:
- Meet directly with and survey groups to identify their current activities and aspirations for salmon habitat conservation in the Lower Fraser river in the short (2020), medium (2030) and long-term (2050).
- Collate mapping data onto a GIS database.
- Research, collate and digitise other associated data.
This a full time position: 38 hours per week and will include travel throughout BC’s Lower Mainland.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student returning to studies in the fall
- Knowledge and experience using GIS, preferably ARC GIS
- Drivers license and access to own vehicle (you will be compensated for mileage)
Application procedure: Please send a CV/resume along with 250 statement about why you are interested in the position to:
Dave Scott (email@example.com).
Application deadline: May 24, 2017